The BHA saved an early cemetery once referred to as “The Forgotten Cemetery”. Through years of dedication and many challenges, the cemetery was reclaimed and the BHA has re-established its honor and historical significance. Now known as Brown’s Lake Road Cemetery, it was named after Col. Henry Brown, founder of Brownhelm. He established the first ‘burying ground’ when he purchased one-half acre from each Levi Shepherd and Stephen James. His daughter Charlotte was one of the first to be buried there and where many of Brownhelm’s early settlers were laid to rest, including a Revolutionary War veteran, Bildad Belden. The cemetery is located at 1863 Liberty Ave, Vermilion just west of the Baumhart Road.